Sunday, June 22, 2008

Taking Flight

SATURDAY, JUNE 21, 2008, 10:00 am

I’m on the deck watching two goldfinches at the feeder, one adult and one fledgling (?). The one I call fledgling is smaller, less colorful, with a skinnier head and neck and more plain looking ... I’d call him “unfinished.” As they sit on the wire before flying to the feeder, the babe cries out high-pitched needy sounds. Could they be father and son? I don’t know the parenting habits of finches so it’s all a guess.

We’re still anticipating the departure of our eastern phoebe nestlings from their home above the kitchen window. This morning I saw two of the four “twiddly butts”--that’s what Frances calls them--with faces to the wall and butts pointed out into the world. I’m anxious, thinking that they’ll be gone soon and I’ll miss their presence.


SUNDAY, JUNE 22, 2008, 7:30 am

Yes!!! Our eastern phoebes took flight this morning! I was busy with morning chores but sneaked a peak at their nest and saw the fledglings positioned differently. Beaks pointed out from the nest instead of inward toward the house. I felt a sense of alertness and expectancy. An hour later as I prepared my own breakfast I checked the nest again. Only one baby remained. It stood sleepily on the human-built deck beneath its nest then gradually turned its head and blinked its eyes. I sat quietly, watching, since I knew that the end/beginning was near. Before long it casually flung itself into the air and was gone.

I still marvel at the sight of fledglings leaving the nest. (See last year’s blog dated July 2, 2007.) Just 15-16 days after breaking out of their eggshells, eagerly accepting insects from their parents’ beaks, and quickly growing to almost-full size (7”), they venture into the world. They’ve never flown prior to this day yet they glide and lift gracefully into the unknown. They’re good role models for adult humans who hesitate, procrastinate, and exasperate themselves and each other with their timidity and hesitancy to take a risk, to try something new ... to spread their wings.

Ah yes, the next time I’m reluctant to push beyond my comfort zone I’ll remember the eastern phoebe fledglings who vacated their nest on untested wings and soared through the air to their next grand adventure.

No comments: