Thursday, January 8, 2009

Terror of the Not So Deep

Another wonderful day on Roatan. We started with our fruit breakfast and a long conversation about American politics with two young, passionate, and politically-aware travelers from California. Next we headed to West Bay (about a 45 minute walk from Keifitos Plantation where we're staying). We swam out from the shore to snorkle ... the water was incredibly clear.

Unfortunately, Frances is a much braver explorer than I. She tries to point out the beautiful fish but when she looks to find me I have turned and headed back toward shore. All she sees is my pink snorkle disappearing into the horizon. Neither of us can swim but I am more scared about it than she is. I'm still trying to get used to the fact that once I put my face (with snorkle mask) down into the water I am cradled by the water. Today when I saw the sea bottom getting farther and farther away from me I hightailed it back toward shore. We did go out again and swim further into the reef after Frances assured me that it got more shallow farther out from shore. (My fears about going into a low blood sugar add to my anxiety.)

I told Frances today that if we keep getting back into the water and practicing I'm sure that I'll feel more and more confident. I'm definitely learning more about me and my inner fears. Hopefully, I can overcome some of my anxieties before our time runs out here on these beautiful shores.

After a long swing in our hammock and peanut butter sandwiches in our room, we headed into West End to have a drink and visit the internet cafe. We tried our first Mojitos tonight, thanks to another movie star, James Bond. Frances saw them on the menu and the first was so good we had another.

Tomorrow we go fruit picking with our host, Phillip. He harvests his own fruit from the plantation for our breakfasts so we'll see how it's done. He did forewarn us to wear long pants with shoes and socks since we'll venture through stinging nettle.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

What a good sport you are, Steph! I admire you for getting back in there again and again! Glad you two are having such a good time. The snow back home can surely wait.