Monday, December 14, 2009

Be-ing in a Winter Wonderland

No doubt about it ... it's a cold, snowy winter in the north woods (and I'm not referring to myself). I shoveled almost a foot and a half of the white stuff off the deck today to create a small t'ai chi chih moving meditation practice area. Ran through my first outdoor TCC practice session this afternoon--since late summer or early fall--and it was fine. Shall I call the 12 degree temp invigorating?

I thoroughly enjoy my daily t'ai chi chih practice and blog. Both the moving meditation AND the writing energize me. They also inspire me to move toward something ... still not quite sure what.

Several friends mentioned recently that it seems like Sunday in downtown Bayfield when it's really mid-week. Yep. That's what it's like during the winter season up here. Things s---l---o---w down. It's frightful and delightful! Soon half of Bayfield's 600+ population will head for warmer climes and the number of cars parked on Rittenhouse Avenue (main street) will shrink to one here, another there....

This time of year the post office is The Place to visit. Cars and people come and go in a steady flow. Here you'll get the latest news ... written and otherwise. The Bayfield Carnegie Library is another hot spot. You can never predict what DVD will stand waiting on the "New Releases" shelf. Even better, what literary wonders will land soft as a snowflake on top of the New Releases bookcase?

Yes, it's "the most wonderful time of the year" here in Bayfield. Peaceful. Quiet. Slow mo. A true winter wonderland. With time to sleep. Time to read. Time to think. Time for conversation. Time to shovel. Time to warm up cars. And time to be....

No comments: